Welcome to my website
As Vice Chair and Campaign Coordinator for Northeast Hertfordshire CLP, I was delighted with our results across North Herts District Council. We took a ward in Letchworth and took control of Letchworth Area Committee. We took another ward in Hitchin (where I was the parliamentary candidate in 2015) and took control of Hitchin Area Committee. We saw dramatic swings to Labour in a number of wards.
But I was born in Nuneaton and my family is from Copeland. So I know we have our work cut out to win power in parliament.
We need to take our policy-making process out of SW1A and our political conferences out of WC1B and closer to the people whose support we need to win. Good policymaking starts on the doorstep listening to the complexities of people’s lives and we need practical solutions that will deliver real and lasting transformation for their families and communities.
But, above all, voters on Keir Hardie Avenue are looking to us to defeat the Tories and reverse their policies in parliament. We cannot let them down.
1) I spoke out against the Welfare Bill abstention in 2015. My tweet made the national press!
2) I have advocated for water renationalisation for 10 years since the flooding in Cumbria. I was a parish councillor in a community directly impacted by flooding and saw firsthand the failure of the privatized utilities to be held accountable for upgrading infrastructure.
3) I campaigned for rail renationalisation as a parliamentary candidate (when it wasn’t formally party policy).
4) I helped to organise a Co-operative Energy conference in Hitchin.
5) I have argued for an interventionist and active industrial strategy for as long as I’ve been in the party.
6) As a National Executive member of Labour Business, I have helped to draft Labour Energy and Industrial policy. (more…)